It is an important part of the Mission of the Highland County District Library to provide ways to meet the information needs of the people of Highland County. The Library develops collections, resources, and services to meet these needs. It is to help meet these information needs that the Library offers access to the Internet through the Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN).
It is understood by library computer users that most of the information available is not generated by the Highland County District Library or by OPLIN. The Library provides access to online reference databases of general and special periodical materials, online encyclopedias, readers’ advisory services, homework centers to assist students, and legislative, historical, and archival materials and information.
INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH OPLIN AND THE INTERNET IS NOT WARRANTED BY THE HIGHLAND COUNTY DISTRICT LIBRARY OR OPLIN TO BE TRUE, AUTHORITATIVE, OR COMPLETE. THE AVAILABILITY OF NETWORKED INFORMATION VIA THE HIGHLAND COUNTY DISTRICT LIBRARY DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY ENDORSEMENT OR RATIFICATION OF THAT INFORMATION VIA THE HIGHLAND COUNTY DISTRICT LIBRARY AND OPLIN IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF NETWORKED INFORMATION AVAILABLE.
THE USE OF OPLIN AND THE INTERNET TO ENGAGE IN ANY ACTIVITY WHICH CONSTITUTES VIOLATION OF LOCAL, STATE, AND/OR FEDERAL LAWS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
All users of this service agree to hold the Highland County District Library and OPLIN harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities directly or indirectly relating to the use of OPLIN and the Internet, caused thereby or arising therefrom. In no event shall the Highland County District Library or OPLIN have any liability for lost profits or for indirect, special, punitive, or consequential damages or any liability to any third party, even if the Highland County District Library or OPLIN is advised of the possibility of such damages.
LIBRARY STAFF ASSISTANCE:
Library staff cannot provide in-depth training, however, we may be able to offer searching suggestions and answer general questions.
GUIDELINES FOR USE:
1. The Library’s Internet computer accesses the Internet which is a global entity with highly diverse user population and Library patrons use it at their own risk. As with other library materials, it is the patron or the parent or legal guardian of minor children who assumes responsibility for supervising access to Internet resources in the Library.
2. Viewing and clicking on this document constitutes agreement to the terms of stated in the document.
3, USE OF THE INTERNET COMPUTER IS BY APPOINTMENT. YOU ARE LIMITED TO 60 MINUTES PER DAY UNLESS NO ONE ELSE IS SCHEDULED.
4. The Internet computer will not be used for unauthorized, illegal or unethical purposes. You may not send, receive or display text or graphics which may reasonably be construed as obscene.
5. Respect the privacy of others by not misrepresenting yourself as another user; by not attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others; by not seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering software components of any network or database.
6. You may not use your own software programs on the Library’s Internet computer. This will help prevent computer viruses that are common on public computers.
7. Printing files from the computer will cost 10 cents per page of black text. Color printing is more expensive, as posted.
8. Software downloaded from the computer may contain a virus and you should have virus-checking software on your computer. The Highland County District Library is not responsible for damage to a patron’s diskette or computer, or for any loss of data, damage or liability that may occur from patron use of the Library’s computers.
9. YOU MAY NOT ALWAYS BE ABLE TO “GO TO” THE PLACES ON THE INTERNET YOU WANT TO VISIT. THE REASONS MAY BE: TOO MANY VISITORS USING THE HOST COMPUTER, THE DATABASE OR RESOURCE IS LIMITED TO A PARTICULAR INSTITUTION; THE HOST COMPUTER HAS A DIFFERENT ADDRESS OR HAS CLOSED DOWN; THE CONTENT IS ILLEGAL; OR THE LIBRARY’S OPLIN CONNECTION IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES. IN SOME CASES THE SITE MAY NOT BE ACCESSIBLE WITHOUT SPECIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADES OR LOWERED SECURITY SETTINGS.
10. Use of the Library’s Internet computer is limited to a maximum of 2 people at a time. Please remember that the Library is a quiet place.
11. Misuse of the Library’s Internet computer or Internet access will result in the loss of access to the Internet computer for a period of six months.
12. The Library does not provide e-mail accounts, service, or email support for the public.
13. The Library does not permit the use of chat.
14. The Library computers are filtered for pornographic sites; chat sites; sites that are known to distribute viruses, worms or spyware; and sites that enable users to get around our filters. However, no filter is perfect and additionally it cannot protect you from objectionable email. If you believe that a site that you wish to visit has been mislabeled, please contact library staff.